Mental and neurological Emergencies onboard ships online course. The aim of this course is to raise awareness regarding Mental and neurological Emergencies that might arise on board vessels.
A psychiatric emergency is any disturbance in thoughts, feelings, or actions for which immediate therapeutic intervention is necessary. For a variety of reasons, such as the growing incidence of violence, the increased appreciation of the role of medical disease in altered mental status, and the epidemic of alcoholism and other substance use disorders, the number of emergency patients is on the rise.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Identify the common psychiatric emergencies and define how an effective emergency response can be provided.
- Recognize the main symptoms of depression and understand how to help a person who is depressed.
- Comprehend the factors which can lead to suicide and identify the main prevention and treatment settings.
- Describe the symptoms of psychosis and define the treatment strategies.
- Identify the main types of anxiety disorder and recognize treatment strategies.
- Recognize the main types of emergency situations due to alcohol and recognize treatment strategies.
- Identify the main symptoms of cannabis intoxication and recognize treatment strategies.
- Recognize the difference between simple headaches and headaches that need further investigation and define the treatment strategies.
- Identify basic symptoms and signs of an epileptic seizure and define what to do in case of a seizure.
- STCW requirements
- IMO requirements
- World Health Organization (WHO) health regulations
- Industry Best Standards
Duration: We suggest you study twice the material dedicating about 240 minutes each time.
Who should attend: All crew
DISCLAIMER: The course is provided on an “as is” basis. Before you purchase any of our courses, it is exclusively your responsibility to check if it complies with the flag administration/approval body you require or you want to submit it to. Furthermore, you should check if the course is accepted by your employer or flag administration as your employer or flag administration may have specific requirements.