Shipboard Incineration online course. The aim of this course is to familiarize crew members with regulatory requirements concerning shipboard incineration and the basic operational and safety aspects of marine incinerators.
Waste incineration onboard sea going ships is regulated by IMO MARPOL 73/78, Resolutions MPEC.244(66) and MEPC.176(40) and IMO MARPOL, Annex VI, Chapter III, Regulation 16 “Shipboard Incineration”. All new incinerators installed onboard a ship on or after 1st January 2000 require compliance with these regulations and shall have IMO Type Approved Certificate.
According to Regulation 16, incineration is only undertaken in equipment designed for that purpose and prohibits the incineration of certain listed materials and therefore can be seen as complementary to the MARPOL Annex V requirements in respect of the processing of ship generated garbage.
- Comprehend regulatory requirements concerning shipboard incineration.
- Understand the procedures of safe handling, basic maintenance and inspection of incinerator units on board.
- Identify the incinerators’ features and the measures that need to be taken during and before use.
- Identify possible hazards before, during and after the use of the incinerator.
Legislation & References:
- SOLAS II-2/3.31 and II-2/3.45
- MARPOL 73/78 Annex I Reg 17, Annex V, Annex VI Reg 16 and
- IMO MEPC 244(66), MEPC.59(33), MEPC.76(40), MEPC.219 (63), MEPC.277(70), MEPC.71(17) – MEPC 201/62
Who should attend:
- Deck management
- Engine management and support
Duration: 2 h
Approval: Liberia, ABS
DISCLAIMER: The course is provided on an “as is” basis. Before you purchase any of our courses, it is exclusively your responsibility to check if it complies with the flag administration/approval body you require or you want to submit it to. Furthermore, you should check if the course is accepted by your employer or flag administration as your employer or flag administration may have specific requirements.