The aim of STCW Personal Survival Techniques refresher training that meets the mandatory minimum standards of competence for safety familiarization, basic training and instruction in personal survival techniques in accordance with section A-VI/1, and as set out in table A-VI/1-1 of the STCW Code.
Seafarers employed as part of a ship’s complement, or engaged in any capacity on board ships on the business of those ships, with designated safety or pollution-prevention duties in the operation of the ship shall, before being assigned to any shipboard duties, receive appropriate approved basic training or instruction in personal survival techniques as set out in table A-VI/1-1 of the STCW Code. The course covers the KUPs (knowledge, understanding and proficiency) in table A-VI/1-1 of the STCW Code, and trainees successfully completing this course will gain knowledge and skills to be able to survive at sea in the event of ship abandonment.
At a glance:
- Approval: Liberia*, ΙΜΟ whitelist flag, click here for LISCR approval, line 526
- Who is it for: Marine and Non-Marine roles including Officers and Ratings of merchant vessels, Cruise ships crews, Super yacht crews
- Accepted by: All flags that accept IMO white list approved training including Malta and Panama. Also: Liberia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Cooks Island, Dominica, Egypt, Hong Kong/P.R.C, Indonesia, Kenya, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Palau, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Tanzania, Taiwan.
- STCW Compliance: Fully compliant with the requirements of the SCTW Code as amended
- Courses and Assessment: Online only*, available 24/7, please see requirements for practical part below.
- Duration: 15h
- Eligibility: Refresh training only
- Prerequisites: Passport
- Certificate provided: Digital, PDF file (stamped hard copy available upon request)
- Certificate Validity: Five (5) years
Complete the course at your own time and place, save time and money with asynchronous e-learning. All you need is an internet-enabled device available (desktop/laptop/tablet/smartphone and a couple of days.
No transportation costs • No wasted time • Also available on board • No physical attendance needed*
- Comprehend the safety guidance for survival at sea.
- Identify the emergency situations and mustering.
- Understand the procedures during evacuation.
- Comprehend how to use personal life-saving appliances.
- Identify how the survival craft and rescue boats are launched and operated.
- Understand how to use emergency radio equipment.
- Identify the survivor’s actions when being rescued.
- Identify the survivor’s actions when required to abandon the ship, when in the water and aboard a survival craft.
*Practical part and required documents
The course Personal Survival Techniques (PST) contains a practical part and is conditionally approved by Liberia. It is only available in a refresher version and its acceptance is subject to certain requirements including two attestations to be signed. These attestations will be emailed to you after your order:
- Initially, you should sign the provided self-attestation.
- When you go onboard, you should have the second attestation signed by either the Master, Chief Mate, Chief Engineer, Second Engineer, or Designated Person Ashore (DPA) confirming practical experience and skills.
- A copy of your passport will also be requested upon ordering.
Kindly note that before you purchase any course it is your responsibility to check if it complies with the flag administration/approval body you require or you want to submit it to. Furthermore, you should check if the course is accepted by your employer as your employer may have specific requirements.